Moore Creek Park encompasses 673 acres of canyon open space with perennial Moore Creek, and 900 acres of oak woodland on the northeastern side of Lake Hennessey. Hikers, mountain bikers, equestrians and nature lovers will find trails through the grassy hillsides of eastern Napa Valley, following the Moore Creek Canyon and along the Lake Hennessey shore.
The trails showcase the Oak, Douglas Fir and Madrones woodlands, grasslands and chaparral and the Park is home to wildlife including black bear, mountain lion, bobcat, gray fox, and coyote. Bald Eagles have been sighted at Lake Hennessey along with Golden Eagles, hawks, Osprey, Great Blue Heron, White Egrets, woodpeckers and loons.
Parking is available in the gravel lot off Pope Chiles Valley Road and is well marked with signs.
Moore Creek hosts 15 miles of trails including:
- Moore Creek Trail runs along a dirt access road to the caretaker cottage for approximately one mile. At the cottage (private residence) the path splits to Valentine Vista and loops back to the parking lot, or continues up Moore Creek. The trail following Moore Creek is a combination of abandoned dirt road and single track that has multiple stream crossings and ends in a natural pool for a dip on a hot day.
- Valentine Vista Trail is a 3-mile one-way trip single-track trail from the parking lot, up the hillside, following the contours of the hill and across multiple water run-off streams flowing down the hillside before returning to the Moore Creek Trail for a nice loop back to the parking lot.
- Chiles Creek Trail is a single-track trail that connects the Moore Creek trails with the Lake Hennessey trails and follows the Creek for a view of the southeastern shore of Lake Hennessey including all the water birds looking for a sheltered spot off the main body of the lake.
- The Lake Hennessey Shoreline Trail follows the contours of the Lake for fantastic views of the shoreline, lake and wildlife.
- Alta Hennessey Trail is a dirt road that loops through the hills above the northern shore of Lake Hennessey.
- Sam the Eagle Trail is a single-track trail with great filtered views that follows a low ridge that parallels and provides an alternative to the Shoreline Trail.
- Ken’s Cutoff is a dirt road short cut-off trail connecting Alta Hennessey, Shoreline and Sam the Eagle trails for shorter loops.